An upcoming narrative 1920s-themed game, Cultist Simulator, is coming out this May, and it is all about a roguelike card game where your choices shape the whole narrative.
Cultist Simulator is a game by Alexis Kennedy, the founder of Failbetter Games who created Fallen London, and Sunless Sea. However, he left the company to become, yet again, a solo developer. This is his commercial release since Fallen London, but he has been a guest writer at different companies, such as Bioware on Dragon Age, and even Telltale on an R&D project.
Alexis created a Kickstarter campaign back in September 2017 that reached its goals and beyond. It had a successful run with 4,788 backers pledged for £82,033. What is Cultist Simulator exactly? Well, it is a narrative roguelike card game where it tells sinister stories while shaping your own narrative. Find a cult suitable for you, recruit believers, and even promote them. Avoid investigators, outwit your rivals, and so much more features are offered in this game.
Cultist Simulator is bound to be released on May 31, 2018.
- Become a scholar of the unseen arts. Search your dreams for sanity-twisting rituals. Craft tools and summon spirits. Indoctrinate innocents. Seize your place as the herald of a new age.
- Combine cards to tell your own story in a rich, Lovecraftian world of ambition, appetite and abomination. Corrupt your friends. Consume your enemies. There is never only one history.
- Found a cult, dedicated to the Red Grail, or the Witch-and-Sister, or the Forge of Days. Recruit Believers and promote them to Disciples to serve as burglars, researchers, cat’s-paws. Use your disciples to keep you fed – or feed on your disciples.
- Unravel arcane, unacknowledged mysteries. Translate grimoires and glean their lore. Locate and pillage the Star Shattered Fane. Penetrate the realm of the Hours, and win a place in their service. Perhaps – if you are very cunning – you may even glimpse the Mansus.
- Outwit rivals, investigators and the increasingly suspicious Authorities. Your own altered Appetites may force you to act abominably, but your Cause must not be stopped.
- Transcend death with a story-driven legacy system. Perhaps your inheritors will complete the Rite of the Crucible Soul. Perhaps they’ll find peace in a pleasing career. Perhaps they’ll bring the Dawn.